Work Adjustment Advice Process (WAAP)
Steward: Haroon Alvi
When self-interest is involved in a decision, we need to have a bias towards responsibility in the freedom/responsibility polarity.
If the business is impacted by the individual’s work adjustment, then it’s the individual’s responsibility to take care of the business’ needs. The WAAP template is designed to help individuals navigate these tricky decisions.
|IN SCOPE||OUT OF SCOPE|
|Extended Vacation/Time-off||Need for accommodation|
|Unpaid leave||Short-term disability|
|Time/cost for education or training||Long-term disability|
|Work from home or other location|
|Change of work hours|
|Other (to discuss with your team)|
Start a Secret group
When you start a group there are three privacy options as listed below – Open, Closed & Secret. If you set your group to Secret, only you and those invited will be able to see, or even find, your WAAP.
Start a new thread (visible to all group members)
In a thread in your CCT (or another team) group, the permissions will be set to match the existing group (Private). Your thread will be visible to members of that group, and not just those you invite.
Start a thread, answering the questions in the proposal template below:
Name the Decision:
(frame as a question in a short sentence)
- What is the relevant background and context that is leading to this?
- What are the details of the work adjustment that you are considering? What options are you looking at? Do you have a specific proposal in mind?
- What are all the benefits you will receive from this?
- What are all the ways that the business could be positively or negatively impacted by your adjustment? (e.g., performance, team impact, engagement)
- If there are potential negative impacts of your adjustment (e.g., lost productivity, increased expenses,reduced team impact, ):
- What will you do to avoid or minimize those risks?
- Will you make up for any negative impacts? (e.g., reduced compensation, extrawork, pay for expenses, losses)
Post your Final decision using the proposal tool in Loomio.
Advisors can now respond in two ways:
- They can ask clarifying questions and/or give reactions in the comments
- They should use the collective agreement buttons as follows:
Agree = I agree or can live with it
Abstain = I don’t know enough or am not impacted
Disagree = I don’t agree with this but will live with it
Block = I cannot live with this
(At this point, the conflict resolution practice may be needed)